Walking off and feeling angry the rest of the day?
Snapping at everyone who comes near you?
Picking up the phone to blow off steam to someone who really doesn’t need to know?
What do you do after an argument?
You can’t always avoid quarrels, but did you know that there’s a beautiful sunnah to revive afterwards?
عَنْ أبي هريرة، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى
اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمْ، يَقُولُ:”تَكْفِيرُ كُلِّ لِحَاءٍ
Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, narrated that the prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:
Performing two rakah is an expiation for any quarrel. [Ibn Al-Arabee, Mu’jam, (2 /178) Ar-Razi (1/141), Al-Fawa’id, Al-Albani graded this hadeeth as hasan]
Al-Alamah Muhammad Abdur Ra’uf Al-Manawee, may Allah have mercy on him, commented on this hadeeth saying: First a person should perform wudu which diminishes the anger. Then he should pray the two rak’ah.[Faydul Qadir hadeeth 3355]
In Arabic, the word لحاء means an argument (or quarrel) in which name-calling, insulting, and abuse occur. Praying straight after an argument will help bring you calm, plus the immense reward of expiation. It will also remind you of Allah (‘azza wa jall) and your struggle to do what pleases Him. You’ll soon realize that your anger about worldy matters is insignificant compared to Allah’s anger when you deal with your anger in the wrong way.
- The next time you have an argument that involves name-calling or insults, pray two rakah afterwards.
- Place a note in the room to remind yourself.
- Don’t forget that making wudhu is also an important sunnah in times of anger.
- Ask Allah (‘azza wa jall) to help you revive this sunnah and guide you in times of your own anger or the anger of others.
- Teach this habit to children when they argue and to others, inshaa’Allah!
Praying you will benefit,
The Understand Quran Academy Team.
I had an argument with my gran walked off because I got accused which made me extremely upset and angry cried so much in my bed then I got up done wudhuu and prayed 2 rakaats Alhamdullilah I feel much better and at peace. I would recommend for you to try this