This is easier said than done! In the modern world we’re bombarded with distractions, so most of us need to make a few changes in our lives in order to help ourselves concentrate on studying.
Each of us has a different learning style, so not all methods will work for everyone. Experiment to try to find the things that best help you to focus.
- Try to study in the same place and at the same time each day. This will signal your brain to start shutting out distractions and attend to the work.Try to be well-rested before studying.
- Don’t be too full or too hungry. Eating too much will make you groggy and if you eat to little, all you’ll be able to think about is food.
- If you tend to have a short attention span, use a timer. Decide that for 2o minutes you will focus exclusively on your work, then take a short break during which you do a couple of minutes of exercise. Your brain and body will thank you.
- Be relaxed. Don’t push yourself to rush through it. Don’t get frustrated with yourself if the material doesn’t stick in your head. Remind yourself that you know more now than you did last week.
- Use your learning style to your advantage. If you’re a visual learner, watch videos and highlight your notes with coloured highlighters. If you’re an auditory learner, listen to recordings, even record yourself saying the most important parts of a lesson.
Most important, make dua that Allah (swt) will help you to succeed.
May Allah (swt) richly bless your efforts to learn and spread the message of the Quran.
Try to study in a place free of distractions like television, music and noisy people.