Assalamualaikum Dear Brothers & Sisters,
Please read PART 1 HERE.
‘Thesweetness of this life lies in remembering Him, the sweetness of the next lifelies in seeing Him! The next time you proceed for prayer, go because you loveHim, go because you miss Him and long to be with Him. Feel your heart flutter.Only then, will you be on your way to attaining that inner peace and comfortsalah was prescribed for’. [Mishari Al-Kharraz]
Let us brief about the interpretation of the blessedverses.
Allahsays: And certainly, We havegiven you seven of the oft-repeated (verses) and the grand Quran. (Surah Hijr15:87)
بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ ﴿١﴾ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّـهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ ﴿٢﴾الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ ﴿٣﴾ مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ ﴿٤﴾ إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ ﴿٥﴾ اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ ﴿٦﴾ صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ ﴿٧
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the MostMerciful. (1) [All] the praises and thanks to be Allah, the Lord of the worlds– (2) The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful, (3) Master (of) the day (of)Judgement. (4) You alone we worship and you alone we ask for help. (5) Guide usto the straight path – (6) (The) path (of) those You have bestowed favors onthem, not of those who have earned [Your] wrath on them and nor of those who goastray. (7)
- In the name of Allah,the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Here,it is advised to take Allah’s name before any work. It has many benefits feware listed below.
- We will be saved from many bad deeds because the habit of takingof Allah’s name will make us think before doing anything, is this work worthtaking Allah’s name?
- Taking the name of Allah before doing any Halal, right or gooddeed/work will make that work easy and we will have proper guidance and a goodstart.
- Most beneficial point is that when we start our work withAllah’s name then with its blessings & benefits there will be lots ofBarakah in the work.
- Lastly and most importantly, we will be saved from the Satan’stactics, Insha Allah.
2. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the worlds
Surah Al Fatihah is a supplication (Dua) that we ask Allah but the start of this Dua starts with the praising of Allah Swt, the Almighty, the listener who is always there by our side. Even in our worldly life, we like to praise the person first before asking help. So, Allah possesses all the rights to be praised.
3. The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
When we must talkabout something that amazes us a lot, we use most prevailing & intensewords to stress the talk.
Ex: when you are informing your friend about your country team winning the world cup, you don’t just say ‘we won the world cup’ rather you express the feeling by adding some intense and powerful words. Likewise, if we are talking about the Mercy of Allah Swt, we don’t just say ‘He is Rahman’ to add the intensity (which Allah has is His name) we add ‘Raheem’ as well to complete the powerful sentence.
4. Master (of) the day (of) Judgement
Day of judgment is the day of accounting of our good/bad deeds which we have earned in this world. Thus, we must be hopeful from His Infinite Mercy and, He will pardon us for our wrong doings and equally fearful of His severe anger. Because, on that day He will take an account of each & everything.
5. You alone we worship and you alone we ask for help
Worship has three meanings, obedience to Allah, being dutiful to Allah’s commands and being servant of Allah. All these 3 actions are to be done together. Here we are declaring to Allah that; we do all these only for You and that there is no one else besides you who own these rights. Thus, we ask Him only and seek only His help.
6. Guide us to the straight path
Here, we are requesting Allah Swt to guide us to His path, which is the only true path and to save us from any deviations, as He is the only one who has the power to do so. This world is full of Fitnah and direct/indirect deviations so, we are requesting Allah Swt to make us firm on His path. This supplication is the beginning approach to seek Allah’s help. There are plenty of paths of which we have no knowledge, which one is true, which one is worth following or which we must stay away from. So, in short, we are asking Allah to guide us to true path and keep us firm on it.
7. (The) path (of) those You have bestowed favors on them, not of those who have earned [Your] wrath on them and nor of those who go astray
As the knowledgeof straight path is unknown, the path, which is acceptable in the sight ofAllah, a path Allah has kept reward (Jannah) for. A path by following whichmany has gained His pleasure. So, we are asking guidance for the same fromAllah.
We are alsorequesting Allah to save us from the deviated path which was followed by manyand they ended up earning Allah’s anger & displeasure. They man have seensuccess in this world but their hereafter is in total loss. And we are alsoasking Allah to help us stay away from such path which was followed by many andled them astray, even after guidance came, they followed the wrong path whichultimately led them away from the true path and losing the hereafter.
The beautiful conversation between Allah and His slave
It is narrated in a Hadith-e-Qudsithat: Allah SWT says, “I have divided the prayer (Al-Fatihah) between Myselfand my slave equally and My slave shall be granted what he asked for.”
Therefore, when the slave says;
- ‘[All] praise is [due] to Allah, Lord of the worlds
Allah says, ‘My slave has praised Me’
- When he says, ‘The Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful’.
Allah says, ‘My slave has glorified Me’
- When he says, ‘Sovereign of the Day of Recompense’.
Allah says, ‘he has related all matters to Me’
- When he says, ‘it is You we worship and You we ask for help’.
Allah says, ‘This is between Me and My slave and My slaveshall have what he requested’
- When he says, ‘Guide us to the straight path, the path of those uponwhom You have bestowed favor, not of those who have evoked [Your] anger or ofthose who are astray’.
Allah says, ‘This is for My slave and My slave shall havewhat he asked for’. (Sahih Muslim 395)
3 Main Elementsin Surah Al Fatihah
- The first 3verses teach us about the Aqeedah (Tawheed)
- The next 2verses teach us about Ibadah (Worship)
- And the last2 verses show us the Methodology of everyday life
Our takeaway from this Surah
- Remember that all praises are due to Allah alone
- Evoke Allah’s countless blessings,favors & bounties and show Him gratitude
- Call Him with His beautiful names& attributes
- Be sincere to Allah in His obedience
- Next time you recite Surah Al-Fatihahin prayer pause and reflect each ayah
- Stay firm on the true path & neverforget the hereafter
- Fear Allah’sanger as well as never lose hope from His mercy
- Teach othersthis practice
I pray this small collection will benefit us in someway, Insha Allah.
May Allah keep us to the right path and reward uswith Jannat-ul-Firdous, Aameen Ya Rabb!
Muneer bint Fayaz