by Zahra Hassan
It’s depressing to observe how most of us just go on reciting the Holy Quran without realizing the immense pleasure it can bring to our busy hearts. So why don’t we feel content when reading our Holy Quran?
Two Main Reasons for Lost Contentment
1. Improper pronunciation: That’s it! Just think of reading an article. If you couldn’t pronounce the letters properly, would you continue reading it with interest? Certainly not!
2. Not knowing what it means: If we can’t understand what we’re reading, we feel bored after a while.
Of the above two factors, improper pronunciation creates a huge impact when reading the Holy Quran, so it’s a must to learn tajweed and to recite the Holy Quran as it should be recited.
What is Tajweed?
Briefly, we can define tajweed as elocution. Technically we can describe it as the pronunciation of each letter according to its own set of rules.
Necessary or Recommended?
I’ve seen many people considering that it’s not so important to learn tajweed. They think it’s not necessary and that just reciting will bring them rewards. But ayahs and hadiths teach us that learning tajweed is necessary.
Those to whom we have given the book, recite it with its true recital . . . [Quran, 2:121]
So what is its true recital? It is to recite exactly in the way it was revealed, and this ayah shows how Allah (swt) desires to see His book recited.
. . . Or add to it, and recite the Quran with measured recitation. [Quran, 73:4)]
Ali ibn Abi Talib said in the explanation of this ayah that tarteelan, which means measured recitation, is defined as the tajweed of the letters and knowing where to stop them correctly.
The Quran will either testify in your favour or against you. This is quoted from a hadith in Muslim, which means that we all should try to recite the Quran properly. If we do so, The Quran will intercede for us on the Day of Judgement. If not, there is no doubt that it will act against us.
When Umm Salamah was asked about the recitation of Prophet (SAWS), she expressed his recitation as, Clearly distinguished letter by letter . . .
Now what do you say? Is it necessary or recommended?
Benefits of Learning Tajweed
1. Company of the noble and obedient angels: Aysha (ra) relates that the prophet (saws) said, The one who recites the Quran precisely will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels, and as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering and stumbling through its verses, then he will have twice that reward.” [Bukhari and Muslim]
2. The Best of People: Uthmaan (ra) said that the Prophet (saws) said, The best of you are the ones who learn the Quran and teach it to others. [Bukhari]
3. Ten rewards for each letter: The Prophet (saws) said, Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward and the reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that, ‘Alif’, ‘Laam’, and ‘Meem’ is a letter, Rather I am saying that ‘Alif’ is a letter, ‘Laam’ is a letter and ‘Meem’ is a letter. [Tirmizi]
4. Way to Paradise: The Prophet (saws) said, A reader of the Holy Quran will be called upon on the Day of Judgement: ‘Start reading the Holy Quran and ascend the (high) stages of the Heaven, and recite slowly as you had been reading in the world, as your abode will be where the last verse of your recitation will end.’ [Abu Daud and Tirmizi]
5. Mental and spiritual peace and satisfaction: Hazrat Bra’a ibn ‘Aazib (ra) states that a person was reading Surah Al-Kahf and his horse was tied near him with two ropes. It so happened that a patch of cloud reached the horse and covered it. The animal began jumping. Next day in the morning the man went to the Holy Prophet (saws) and related the incident to him. The Holy Prophet (saws) said, This was ‘Sakeenat’ (mental and spiritual peace and satisfaction) that came down as a result of the recitation of the Holy Quran. [Bukhari and Muslim]
How to Begin?
- Seek a qualified teacher, as tajweed and its application can only be learned properly by listening and reciting and there should be someone to correct when mistakes are made.
- Get a book containing the rules of tajweed and start to learn it step by step.
- Listen to Quran tapes of reciters. Notice their application of tajweed. Replay it several times to catch the exact points.
Once you’ve learned tajweed, you can go through this checklist to see whether you’re perfect with your tajweed or not:
1. The articulation points of the letters: If you know how to pronounce each word distinctly, then your knowledge of tajweed is good.
2. The characteristics of the letters and the usage of the tongue: If you’re familiar with the features of each letter and your tongue automatically moves to it, then your tajweed sounds better.
3. Rules change in the letters: If you know the rules change in each letter due to the influence of other letters and know where to stop them, then your tajweed is the best!
Don’t worry . . . If you find it difficult to read the Holy Quran, Don’t worry my dear brothers and sisters. You have a double reward because:
1. You recite the Quran.
2. You’re trying your best to learn even if it’s hard for you.
So what’s more? Start learning and feel the tremendous pleasure you receive when beautifying the Quran.
Brother May Allah SubhanhuwataAllah Bless all the members and team of understandquran. Ameen. Could you please make sure the profile pictures in the Facebook like page do not appear in this website as I saw some of the profile pictures in appropriate as not everyone take care of their profile picture. This is not suitable for such a nice Islamic website and Allah knows well.
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم We are thankful to Allah Almighty (الحمدلله) who gave us ability to place our iPhone Quran application for our muslim brothers.This Quran iphone application is created using scan pages of printed Quran that is approved and authenticated. You will notice this quran has colorful text. Actually those are Tajweed Rules. If you love to read Quran like a Qari. These Tajweed rules will help you to read Quran correctly. You will really amazed how beautifully you can read Quran Pak, for example a dark pink color tells you to Read that letter heavily and Green color tells you to Nasalize that letter (say Ghunnah in terms of Qiraat). Just go to Help section in menu at bottom and see a list of Tajweed rules for this Quran.Other menu items at bottom areSurah List: From this you may jump quickly to any Surah (total 114) of Quran Majeed.Juz List: From this you may jump quickly to any Juz (total 30) of Quran Hakeem. Go To Page: It will open a picker and you may jump to any page (total 611) of Quran Pak.This AlQuran application has a beautiful feature of bookmarks. You will notice a ribbon placed at right of each page. Just tapping on that will bookmark that page. Bookmarks works like favorites. You may open all bookmarked Quran pages list from bottom menu.If you rotate your iPhone it will display in landscape view that has more larger view of each Quran page.If you are buying this app just think you are going to contribute in further development of this Quran Kareem (القرآن الكريم) application.And please do not forget us in your prays when you are done reading this Holy Quran iPhone Application.JazakaAllah for your favorable feedback for this iPhone Quran Application.
Our next place of stay is in the Kubur/Barzah Alam. We must try to read every night Surah Al-Mulk 30 ayat/verses to get help from the Surah the punishment of Kubur/in the Barzah world/Alam.(Hadith).
Salam from Muhammad Razale Bin Muhammad Nuh, Malaysia.
أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم A’oodhubillahi minashshaitaanirrajeem I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected Shaitaan (Evil)
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم Bismilla hirrahmaa nirraheem In the name of Allah
the most gracious ,the most merciful
السلام عليكم ASSA LAAMU ALAIKUM May Peace be upon all of you
My Dear Sisiter in Islam First of all I thank almighty Allah for introducing each other through UQ الحمد لله ALHAMDULILLAH All praise to be Allah
I would like to add some thing to your valuable article ..Quran will repeat Why should we understand Qurans
as Allah says in the quran you mentioned before
ٱلَّذِينَ ءَاتَيۡنَـٰهُمُ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ يَتۡلُونَهُ ۥ حَقَّ تِلَاوَتِهِۦۤ أُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ يُؤۡمِنُونَ بِهِۦۗ وَمَن يَكۡفُرۡ بِهِۦ فَأُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ ٱلۡخَـٰسِرُونَ (Surah No. 2 Al Baqarah Aya no.121)
Those unto whom We have given the Scripture, who read it with the right reading, those believe in it. And whoso disbelieveth in it, those are they who are the losers.
Why the previous scriptures were vanished becuase people didn’t memorize or try to understand so the so called priests changed thing the way they wanted to benefit them ,Today it’s happening to the Noble Quran
People who don’t know any thing about Quran are talking about Quran As if they knew Also Anti Muslims are quoating from the Quran and confusing the Muslims who who don”t know any thing about Quran
That’s why the Almighty creatoe says
Sura No.2 Al-Baqara Aya No.78
وَمِنۡہُمۡ أُمِّيُّونَ لَا يَعۡلَمُونَ ٱلۡكِتَـٰبَ إِلَّآ أَمَانِىَّ وَإِنۡ هُمۡ إِلَّا يَظُنُّونَ (٧٨) Among them are unlettered folk who know the Scripture not except from hearsay. They but guess they know .
If you know and understand the Quran you can use it as a weapon to protect your imaan and your way of life also able to to understand the problems and find positive solutions under any condition
جزاكم الله خيرا Jazakumullahu khairan May Allah reward you good
إن شاء الله Insha Allah If Allah willing
كفى المحسن احسانه وكفى المسئ اساءته Kafal muhsinal ihsaanuhu wakafel maseea isaa’athuhu A good person’s good deeds will save him or her ,and a bad person’s evil deeds will destroy him or her
والسلام في امان الله Fee amanallah Be in Allah’s protection
I do every good deed not to please anyone but to please the almighty creator of the earth ,the heaven and every thing including you and me
(Allah الله )
Rocky & Jean Eikaiwa Kyoshitsu
202, VEIRA HAITSU SHIRASAGI,
1 – 12 – 7 , SHIRASAGI,
NAKANO – KU ,
165 – 0035.
TEL/FAX 81 (0)3 3223 8249
On the move 81 (0) 80 4119 3108 (Soft Bank) Mobile email