A learning disability can make studying the Quran harder; alhamdulillah, the greater the striving, the greater the reward! In shaa Allah and with His help you can turn your challenge into an opportunity:
- Arrange a study space where you will do most of your studying. You can study in other places, but this will be your “base camp.”
- Keep it neat and tidy, and keep your references materials handy (quran, lesson materials, dictionaries, etc.). Make it easy for yourself to find things quickly. Get rid of as many distractions as possible.
- This applies to your virtual desktop, too! Avoid being distracted by the internet by shutting hiding everything but your Understand Quran study materials while you’re studying.
- KNOW YOURSELF! Know your learning style and strive to find every way possible to work with it to maximise learning benefits.
- Stay positive! A number of famous actors have dyslexia, many doctors suffer from Tourette’s Syndrome, there are many very accomplished professionals with autism, and Attention Deficit Disorder can be turned into an advantage. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t succeed!
- Be very patient with yourself. When you become frustrated with what you think is a lack of progress, remind yourself that you know more today than you did last week, last month, and last year. Say alhamdulillah, and keep going.
- Make dua. All is possible for Allah (swt), and His compassion often works miracles.
May Allah (swt) richly bless your efforts to learn and spread the message of the Quran.
Be pious scholars of the Lord because of what you have taught of the Scripture and because of what you have studied. [from Al-Quran, 3:79]