By Zahra Hassan
Never lose hope. Never think you’re alone. With or without your knowledge, you’re always being assisted by Allah(swt). You depend on Him— without His help, you can’t make a move.
But how easy it is to forget this! There are periods in our lives when we call on Him only if we’re met with a severe calamity. Allah (swt) is always with us, but how often are we aware of His help?
In Need of Allah
When we’re immersed in the adornments of dunya, we tend to think we can do everything on our own. We forget Allah’s wisdom and might.
If Allah should aid you, no one can overcome you; but if He should forsake you, who is there that can aid you after Him? And upon Allah let the believers rely. (3:160)
The Prophet (saws) said, Allah the most high said, ‘I am as my servant thinks (expects) I am. I am with him when he mentions Me. If he mentions Me to himself, I mention him to Myself; and if he mentions Me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly greater than it. If he draws near to me a hand’s length, I draw near to him an arm’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed. [Bukhari]
When will the help of Allah (swt) come?
Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while such [trial] has not yet come to you as came to those who passed on before you? They were touched by poverty and hardship and were shaken until [even their] messenger and those who believed with him said,”When is the help of Allah ?” Unquestionably, the help of Allah is near. [Quran, 2:214]
Allah individually is concerned with each of us and we are important to Him. He is so close to us that He responds when we call upon Him.
He is closer to you than your jugular vein. Quran, 50:16]
So never give up! Realise that the help of Allah (swt) is nearer than you think. Verily, Allah’s help will reach you once you turn to Him and ask Him.
And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me – indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided. [Quran, 2:186]
How to seek Allah’s help?
1. Place your complete faith in Him. Raise your hands to Allah (swt) in all concerns and you will observe rays of success penetrating in your life.
You alone we worship, and from You alone we seek help. [Quran, 1:4]
2. Refrain from shirk. Avoid considering a person or thing as being omnipotent like Allah(swt), and keep in mind that if you’re in need of help, the request should be made to Allah only.
Those whom you call besides Allah cannot approach you to help, nor can they help themselves. [Quran, 7:197]
3. Help others, and Allah (swt) will help you. Even a smile is a charity! Speaking politely is a charity. Encouraging others to do good deeds and to refrain sins is also a great sadakah. So help as much as you can and watch how Allah(swt) helps you before you even ask Him.
The Prophet (saws) said, “Allah will be in the slave’s need, as long as the slave is in his (believing) brother’s need. [Muslim]
4. Help Allah, Allah(swt) will help you. But how can you help Allah (swt) when He’s absolute? What this aya illustrates is helping in the deen of Allah (swt). So when you strive to spread His deen, Allah (swt) will help you in any course.
O you who believe! If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm. [Quran, 47:7]
5. Exercise patience, perseverance, and prayer. When we’re stricken with calamity it’s hard for us to be patient— we’re never ready to accept our troubles or sufferings. But if we remain patient and persevere, we will be strengthened. And when we pray our lives will be filled with the blessings of Allah(swt) .
And seek help through patience and prayer, and indeed, it is difficult except for the humbly submissive [to Allah ] [Quran, 2:45]
Why do people suffer even after seeking Allah’s help?
The Prophet (saws) said, Whenever a person makes an appeal to Allah (swt) for any kind of need, either the same need is fulfilled or another kind of misery is averted which was to come on him. [Tirmizi]
Allah knows the best. He knows what’s behind us. Whenever we make an appeal to Him, we express it by keeping faith in His wisdom and might, and we believe that Allah will always provide us the best solution. Sometimes it may be in favour of us and at other times a disappointment for us, but whatever the decision taken by Allah is the best for us.
Allah’s Help for True Believers
Allah always eases the path of believers even in difficult times, and since their complete trust is in Allah, Allah manifests His help in unique ways. Some of His ways are as follows:
1. He sends angels.
Remember when you called on your Lord for help, and he replied: ‘I will reinforce you with a thousand angels, riding rank after rank.’ Allah only did this to give you good news and that so your hearts would be at rest. Victory comes from no one, but Allah. Allah is Almighty, All-Wise [Quran, 8:9-10]
2. He sends a mirage to the eyes of enemies. Allah scares the enemies of true believers by making them to appear more powerful and great in number.
Remember when Allah made you see them as few when you met them, and also made you seem few in their eyes. This was so that Allah could settle a matter whose result was preordained. All matters return to Allah. O believers, When you meet a troop, stand firm and remember Allah repeatedly so that, hopefully, you will be successful. [Quran, 44-45]
3. He destroys the traps set for believers. No matter how powerful the trap is, Allah says He will destroy it.
Allah always confounds the schemes of the unbelievers. [Quran, 8:18]
4. He gives spiritual support and endless mercy. Allah reinforces the true believers’ hearts with serenity and thus they feel an immense spiritual support. An endless mercy will be showered upon them.
Allah sent down serenity into the believers’ hearts, thereby increasing their faith with more faith . . . [Quran, 48:4]
A Few Duas for Seeking Allah’s Help
1. You alone we worship and from you alone we seek help. [Quran, 1:4]
2. He is my Lord; there is no deity but Him! On Him is my trust, and to Him do I turn. [Quran, 13:30]
3. Oh Allah, You are my Supporter and you are my Helper. By Your grace, I set out, by Your grace I advance, and by Your grace, I strive. (Tirmizi, Abu Dawood)
4. Oh Allah! I have surrendered myself to You, I have directed my face to You, I have entrusted my affairs to You, I have compelled my back to refuge in You, in want and in fright of You. There is no resort nor survival from You except (in turning) to You. I have faith in Your Book (i.e.The Quran) which you brought down and in the Prophet. (Mohammed) you have sent. [Bukhari, Muslim]
At last, I would like to wind up with Rasoolullah’s words of wisdom:
Seek help from Allah (SWT) and do not loose heart, and if anything (in the form of trouble) comes to you, don’t say: If I had not done that, it would not have happened so and so, but say: Allah (SWT) did that what he had ordained to do, and your “If” opens the (gate) for the satan. [Muslim]