Lost in a world of temptation and moral confusion? The Quran provides a roadmap that can get you on the right road fast.
- Sin— The bad news? When you commit a sin, you’re automatically on the road to hellfire. Yes, whoever earns evil and his sin has encompassed him – those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally. [Quran 2:81]
- Realising that you’ve sinned— You won’t actually seek forgiveness until you’re able to see your own sin . . . And David became certain that We had tried him, and he asked forgiveness of his Lord and fell down bowing [in prostration] . . . [Quran 38:24]
- Repentance— There must be a realisation that you’ve done wrong and must be put right again, and that the only one who can forgive you is Allah (swt) . . .and turned in repentance [to Allah]. [Quran 38:24]
- Asking forgiveness— You must demand forgiveness from the full sincerity of your heart. [Noah] said, ‘My Lord, I seek refuge in You from asking that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have mercy upon me, I will be among the losers.’ [Quran 11:47]
- Receiving forgiveness— The good news? Our God is compassionate! He said, ‘No blame will there be upon you today. Allah will forgive you; and He is the most merciful of the merciful.’ [Quran 12 :92]
- Abandoning the sin— Sincere repentance involves doing your utmost avoid repeating the sin for which you’ve asked forgiveness. And those who, when they commit an immorality or wrong themselves [by transgression], remember Allah and seek forgiveness for their sins – and who can forgive sins except Allah? – and [who] do not persist in what they have done while they know. [Quran 3 :135]
- Stay on the right road!— Once you’re forgiven and have made a decision to abandon sin, you should increase your efforts to receive and follow Allah’s guidance. O you who have believed, if you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion and will remove from you your misdeeds and forgive And Allah is the possessor of great bounty. [Quran 8:29] But indeed, I am the Perpetual forgiver of whoever repents and believes and does righteousness and then continues in guidance.[Quran 20 :82]
- Readiness to forgive others and to ask forgiveness for them— Allah (swt) has given you the priceless gift of forgiveness; now you need to pass it on. Kind speech and forgiveness are better than charity followed by injury. And Allah is Free of need and Forbearing. [Quran 2 :263]
- Avoidance of penalty: You dodged a serious bullet by seeking forgiveness!. . . And indeed, your Lord is full of forgiveness for the people despite their wrongdoing, and indeed, your Lord is severe in penalty. [Quran13:6]
- A great reward: It doesn’t get any better than this. Those – their reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens beneath which rivers flow [in Paradise], wherein they will abide eternally; and excellent is the reward of the [righteous] workers. [Quran 3:136]
This is a highway with the most beautiful destination imaginable. Let’s stay on it and meet in Paradise, inshaa Allah!
May your mind and heart be opened,
The Understand Quran Academy Team