Lost in a world of temptation and moral confusion? The Quran provides a roadmap that can get you on the right road fast.
- Sin— The bad news? When you commit a sin, you’re automatically on the road to hellfire. Yes, whoever earns evil and his sin has encompassed him – those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide therein eternally. [Quran 2:81]
- Realising that you’ve sinned— You won’t actually seek forgiveness until you’re able to see your own sin . . . And David became certain that We had tried him, and he asked forgiveness of his Lord and fell down bowing [in prostration] . . . [Quran 38:24]
- Repentance— There must be a realisation that you’ve done wrong and must be put right again, and that the only one who can forgive you is Allah (swt) . . .and turned in repentance [to Allah]. [Quran 38:24]
- Asking forgiveness— You must demand forgiveness from the full sincerity of your heart. [Noah] said, ‘My Lord, I seek refuge in You from asking that of which I have no knowledge. And unless You forgive me and have mercy upon me, I will be among the losers.’ [Quran 11:47]
- Receiving forgiveness— The good news? Our God is compassionate! He said, ‘No blame will there be upon you today. Allah will forgive you; and He is the most merciful of the merciful.’ [Quran 12 :92]
- Abandoning the sin— Sincere repentance involves doing your utmost avoid repeating the sin for which you’ve asked forgiveness. And those who, when they commit an immorality or wrong themselves [by transgression], remember Allah and seek forgiveness for their sins – and who can forgive sins except Allah? – and [who] do not persist in what they have done while they know. [Quran 3 :135]
- Stay on the right road!— Once you’re forgiven and have made a decision to abandon sin, you should increase your efforts to receive and follow Allah’s guidance. O you who have believed, if you fear Allah, He will grant you a criterion and will remove from you your misdeeds and forgive And Allah is the possessor of great bounty. [Quran 8:29] But indeed, I am the Perpetual forgiver of whoever repents and believes and does righteousness and then continues in guidance.[Quran 20 :82]
- Readiness to forgive others and to ask forgiveness for them— Allah (swt) has given you the priceless gift of forgiveness; now you need to pass it on. Kind speech and forgiveness are better than charity followed by injury. And Allah is Free of need and Forbearing. [Quran 2 :263]
- Avoidance of penalty: You dodged a serious bullet by seeking forgiveness!. . . And indeed, your Lord is full of forgiveness for the people despite their wrongdoing, and indeed, your Lord is severe in penalty. [Quran13:6]
- A great reward: It doesn’t get any better than this. Those – their reward is forgiveness from their Lord and gardens beneath which rivers flow [in Paradise], wherein they will abide eternally; and excellent is the reward of the [righteous] workers. [Quran 3:136]
This is a highway with the most beautiful destination imaginable. Let’s stay on it and meet in Paradise, inshaa Allah!
May your mind and heart be opened,
The Understand Quran Academy Team
Jazak Allah Khair,
Masha Allah beautiful reminder. Jazak Allah khair.
May Allah guide us all,ameen
Masha Allah very good message